Last updated: November 7, 2017
*Please note that information we obtain through the Services in connection with your pet receiving from us any veterinary, wellness, pharmacy, or other services involving your pet's medical records is subject to our pet medical records policy (available here
Information We Collect
Information You Provide
We collect information from you when you choose to share it with us, such as through use of our Services, account registration, registration for one of our programs, and other ways you communicate with or contact us.
The information we collect may include your name, mailing address, email address, telephone or mobile number, date of birth or age, gender, or photograph, or information about your pet, and to generate a user name and password. You may also provide us with certain information in connection with specific transactions:
Information Automatically Collected
- Make a Purchase. If you make a purchase from us, we collect applicable financial information to facilitate the transaction.
- Visit a Clinic or Wellness Center. If you bring your pet to one of our pet clinics, hospitals, or wellness centers, or use any of our veterinary or wellness services, we may also collect additional information about your pet, including your pet's name, date of birth, medical information or records, or other health-related information.
- Information About a Third Party. If you send someone else a communication from the Site, the information you provide will be used to facilitate the communication.
- Information Through Social Media. You may be given the option to link to one or more social networking platforms (such as Facebook or Twitter) through the Services, or log in via a social networking platform. If you do, we may automatically receive certain information about you based on your registration and privacy settings on those third party services.
For example, we may automatically collect certain information from you, including but not limited to your browser type, device type, operating system, Internet Protocol ("IP") or Media Access Control ("MAC") address, mobile device identifier or other unique device identifier of any of your computer(s) or device(s) that are used to access the Site or App, geolocation, software version, phone model, phone operating system, carrier information, and the domain name from which you accessed the Site or App. We also may collect information about your use of the Site or App, including the date and time you visit, the areas or pages that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Site or App, the number of times you return to the Site or App, other click-stream or Site or App usage data, emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Site of App, and other sites or mobile applications that you may visit.
Please visit "Your Choices and Opt Out" for further information, including about Do Not Track and how to disable cookies.
Information Collected From Other Sources
Combination of Information
We may combine the information we collect from and about you, including you provide to us and information we automatically collect, with information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from third party sources.
How We Use Information
We may use information collected from or about you for any of the following purposes:
- To validate, confirm, verify, deliver, install, and track your order (including to process payment transactions, arrange for shipping, handle returns and refunds, and contact you about your orders, including by email or telephone);
- To facilitate the treatment of your pet (including to contact you to discuss treatment, medications, or other pet health-related services) or provide you with access to your pet's medical records;
- To enhance your online shopping experience, including as a way to recognize you and welcome you to the Site or App;
- To review the usage and operations of our Services, develop new products or services, and conduct analysis to enhance or improve our content, products, and services;
- To provide you with customized Services content, targeted offers, and advertising on the Site, via email, text message or push notification, or across other websites, mobile applications, social media or online services;
- To contact you with information, deliver email communications, newsletters, promotional material, and other correspondence from DFS or on behalf of our partners and affiliates;
- To communicate with you about our contests, sweepstakes and other promotions;
- To communicate with you regarding your membership in one of our programs;
- To use your data in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical and demographic purposes;
- To protect the security or integrity of the Services and our business; or
- For other purposes disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
Additionally, if you use our Services to connect with a third party service, you authorize us to use information from and about you, on your behalf, to interact with these third party services based on your requests.
Information We Share
We may disclose the information we collect from or about you either (i) when we have your permission to do so or (ii) in any of the following situations (without your permission):
Your Choices and Opt-Outs
Cookies, Tracking Options and California Do Not Track Disclosures
- Service Providers: We may share your information with third-party contractors and service providers that provide business, professional, or technical support functions for us, help us operate our business, or other activities in support of the Services and/or our businesses.
- Veterinary Care Providers: We may share your and/or your pet's information with another veterinary care provider, if doing so will help facilitate treatment of your pet (such as in the event your pet experiences a medical emergency).
- Co-Branded Relationships: Certain areas of our Services may be provided to you in association with third parties, such as advertisers that provide products and services or rewards programs. We may share information with these third parties if you participate in a co-branded, co-sponsored, or jointly presented promotion, contest, survey, voting feature, or service.
- Third Parties: We may share your name, address, telephone number, data about your purchases, and other similar information with other companies or organizations outside of DFS. These entities' use of such information is subject to their respective privacy policies.
- Aggregate, Anonymous, or De-Identified Information: We may also share aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information with third parties without restriction, including for their marketing or analytics uses.
- Legal Matters; Compliance with Law: We may disclose information collected from or about you to the government or to other third parties to comply with the law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests and investigations, court orders, subpoenas or other legal process, such as in connection with suspected illegal activity associated with any of the Sites or our business and to protect against harm to the Services, to us, or others. We reserve the right to release information collected through any of the Sites to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
- Other: We also may share your information as disclosed to you at the time of collection.
Certain parts of our Site or App require cookies. You are free to set your browser or operating system settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features on the Site or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your Web browser's or operating system's website or "Help" section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your browser or operating system from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
Opt Out Preferences
- On your mobile device, you may also adjust your privacy and advertising settings to control whether you want to receive more relevant advertising.
We provide our customers with the opportunity to opt-out of having their information used for purposes not directly related to placement, processing, fulfillment, or delivery of a product or service. To opt-out of marketing communications, you may use one of these convenient methods:
- Electronic Promotional Offers. If you do not want to receive emails from us regarding special promotions or offers, you may (i) click the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email; or (ii) contact us at the contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below.
- Direct Mail Promotional Offers. If you do not want us to send you any promotional offers through direct mail, you may contact us at the contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below. To opt-out by email or mail, please include "Do Not Mail" in the subject line so your inquiry can be properly directed.
- Mobile Promotional Offers. When you provide us with your mobile number for marketing purposes, we may send you certain marketing alerts via text message. Standard data and message rates will apply. If you no longer wish to receive mobile alerts from us, you can (i) follow the instructions provided in those messages or otherwise reply STOP to any DFS alert; or (ii) contact us at the contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below.
- Push Notifications. When you use the App, you may receive push notifications. If you prefer not to receive push notifications, you may adjust your settings on your mobile device to control whether you want to receive these alerts.
If you receive marketing communications from one or more brands within the DFS family of affiliated companies, you must opt-out individually from each of the brands from which you are receiving brand-specific marketing communications.
Your instructions to limit the use of your information for these purposes will be processed as soon as reasonably practicable. Additionally, we are not responsible for informing third parties (including without limitation our third party service providers or partners) with whom we have already shared your personal information of any changes requested pursuant to this section, or for removing information from or causing information to be removed from the databases or records of such entities.
Your California Privacy Rights
From time to time, we may share information collected about you with our affiliates and/or other third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Under California law, a California resident with whom we have an established relationship has the right to request information about our disclosure of personal information to affiliated companies or third parties for their direct marketing purposes, within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. To make such request, please contact us at WebsiteInquiries@drsfostersmith.com. You must put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the subject field. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
Non-affiliated third parties are independent from DFS and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
How to Correct or Update Your Information
You may correct or update certain information that we collect from you by contacting us at the email or mailing address noted in the "Contact Us" section below, or (if available on a particular Site or App) by editing your information and preferences on the "My Account" page. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to update our files to reflect your request as promptly as possible.
We have taken certain physical, administrative, and technical steps to safeguard the information we collect from and about our customers and Site visitors. While we make every effort to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures.
Transfer of Data from Outside the United States
If you use any of our Services from outside of the United States, information that we collect from or about you through the Services will be transferred to servers inside the United States and maintained indefinitely. By using the Services, you consent to the transfer of data about you into the United States, as well as the processing of such data in the United States.
Protecting children's privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Site or App to, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from, children under the age of thirteen. If DFS learns that a child under the age of thirteen has provided personal information to the Site or App, it will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from its files.
Third Party Content, Links, and Plug-Ins
The Site or App may have links to third-party websites or applications, which may have privacy policies that differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such sites.
Any information you may disclose through our Services, in blogs, on discussion or message boards, in chat rooms, interactive forums, rating or reviews, or on other public areas on the Site or App, or other third-party websites that this Site or App may link to, becomes public information. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal or other information in these public areas.
- Calling Customer Service at (877) 738-6742;
- Emailing us at WebsiteInquiries@drsfostersmith.com; or
See your California Privacy Rights here
See Copywrite Claims information here
See Pet Medical Records Policy here
See our Social Media Policy here