advantus (imidacloprid) soft chew 7.5 mg:
for dogs 4-22 lbs 10 weeks of age and older
advantus (imidacloprid) soft chew 37.5 mg:
for dogs 23-110 lbs and 10 weeks of age and older
Active Ingredients: advantus contains 7.5 mg or 37.5 mg of imidacloprid.
Use: advantus™ kills adult fleas and is indicated for the treatment of flea infestations on dogs and puppies 10 weeks of age and older and weighing 4 pounds or greater.
Warnings: Not for human use. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Directions: You should weigh your dog before giving this medication to make sure you are using the right size for your dog. Do not give to puppies younger than 10 weeks of age or to dogs weighing less than 4 pounds. Do not give more than one tablet a day.
Side Effects: Side effects seen with this drug include vomiting, decreased appetite, decreased energy, soft stools and difficulty walking.
Use the table to find the right dose for your dog:
Soft Chew Strength
One soft chew
7.5 mg imidacloprid
23 -110 lbs
One soft chew
37.5 mg imidacloprid
To give advantus, place the soft chew directly in your dog's mouth or allow your dog to take the soft chew from your hand. Watch closely to ensure your dog swallows the soft chew.
A single dose kills adult fleas on your dog. Because advantus does not have an effect on fleas in the environment, your dog may become re-infested with fleas. If your dog becomes re-infested, you can safely repeat treatment as often as once a day. Contact your veterinarian if you have any questions about flea infestations on your dog.
Treat all pets in your household with a flea protection product. advantus should only be given to dogs.
Call Bayer at 1-800-255-6826. To report side effects, call Bayer Veterinary Services at 1-800-422- 9874. For additional information for reporting side effects for animal drugs, contact FDA at 1-888-FDA-VETS or online at www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth
- Contact your veterinarian if your dog ingests more than the recommended dose of advantus.
- advantus has not been tested in pregnant or nursing dogs.
- advantus starts to kill fleas within 1 hour. A study demonstrated that advantus achieves greater than 96% effectiveness against adult fleas within 4 hours.
- advantus may be used together with other products, including heartworm preventatives, corticosteroids, antibiotics, vaccines, de-worming medications and shampoos.
- advantus does not protect against ticks or mosquitoes.